Thursday 12 May 2011

Very quick Eccles cakes


I brought out from the freezer some frozen puff pastry two days ago, and unfortunately didn't make the recipe I had been planning to make. The pastry was in the fridge and getting a little dry, so I thought I had better do something with it tonight. I had the oven on anyway to make home-made chicken nuggets and home-made baked chips, so it wasn't an extravagance to use the heat for these.

They are very simple!

One block of frozen puff pastry cut into twelve squares and then each rolled out to about three inches square - quite thin. Some of the home made mincemeat left from Christmas was put in the middle of each square, about a dessertspoonful, and then the corners folded in to contain it all, and the whole parcel turned over so that all the gatherings are underneath. I cut two small slits in the top of each one, brushed each with egg, and then sprinkled some brown sugar over as well, and baked at 160C in the fan oven for about 25 minutes. The FH is in love again, and it isn't with me - he has eaten three tonight already! Some of them split open a little but I shall know better for next time - for an experiment, I was quite pleased with the results.

No comments: