Monday 6 February 2012

Diamond Queen


(Photograph from telegraph.co.uk)

Today is the actual day, 60 years on, which marks the Accession of HM Queen Elizabeth II to the throne.

Whether you are a royalist or not, I don't think you can doubt this lady's devotion to her duty and to her countries. Her popularity has waxed and waned over the years, but I think that people will turn out to support her in this Jubilee Year.

I remember her Silver Jubilee back in 1977 when I was just 5. She came to Cambridge to open Wolfson College and the whole school trekked across Cambridge to "see" her - I got a glimpse of a shiny car and that was that!! We did spend time making Jubilee scrapbooks that term, and we all had an emblem of something royal on the front - a crown, a state coach, etc - as a silhouette.

We are going to be on holiday in June when all the official celebrations in London take off, and I don't know whether anything is planned here in the village, but we will be in Bridlington, so we'll have to see what is going on up there instead.


3 comments:

Angela said...

We're planning a Big Lunch here in our village. Did you know HM has written a special mealtime grace to be said at it?

Elizabeth has dedicated herself to serving the nation, and I have so much respect for her.

blessings xx

Unknown said...

She does a great job!

Sft x

Mrs. Mac said...

My English roots celebrate along with you. She has served her country well. Enjoy the celebrations.