Saturday 3 March 2012

For Rainbowchild and others

Rainbowchild asked about the regime that the EFG is using for her weightloss. I am sharing it here, but feel free to ask questions if you want.

I will say now that I am not opening up a debate about the health, safety, scientific proof, efficacy or anything else of this particular regime - I am JUST sharing information.

The rules we are following work like this:
  • Fruit only on an empty stomach (first thing in the morning or at least a couple of hours since the last food eaten)
  • Carbohydrates eaten only with non-fat foods. NOT with proteins or fats. Carbohydrates should be wholegrain, so we are using wholemeal pasta, and wholemeal bagels/bread. I would be using brown rice if the EFG would eat rice!
  • Proteins can be eaten with fats, and with vegetables. NOT with carbs.
  • There should be at least three hours between meals of different sorts - so between carb based and protein based meals for example.
  • No sugar.
So a typical day for the EFG might go like this:

  • Breakfast - omelette made with a couple of eggs, cheese and bacon.
  • Mid morning snack - fruit
  • Lunch at school - smorgasbord collection of raw veggies, salad stuff and cheese/cold meat type of meal
  • Snack at home time - a re-run of lunch as a salad on a plate, perhaps lettuce, tomato, cucumber, cress, hard boiled egg.
  • Tea with the family - whatever we are having modified slightly - bolognaise (mince, tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, onion, etc) but with veggies instead of with spaghetti; roast meat (chicken, pork, etc) with veggies; etc
  • Supper - wholemeal bagel with Quark and chopped onion; wholemeal bread with salad and fatfree dressing; wholemeal pasta with salad veg/veg and fatfree dressing.
There are a lot of vegetables and salads, a fair amount of protein and fat, and not that much carbohydrates in this case.

It works for the EFG and we will continue for a while with this regime. On Friday evenings we get home from gymnastics at about 8pm, and she is allowed to have whatever she wants for her tea, and a sweet treat if she wants one.

If something like this helps others, good luck. At the moment we are following this pretty strictly and using simple recipes. I know that there is a lot of scope for using more interesting recipes to develop this as a longer term lifestyle. It is likely that the EFG will have to avoid sugar as a lifelong choice in order to help her insulin levels. I just hope that when the doctor reviews her again, he notices the difference!

3 comments:

Rainbowchild said...

Thank you so much for sharing. It has really given me a good idea of where I need to make changes in my diet. She is doing so well. Thanks again xx

Unknown said...

Really interested in this diet EFG is following. I have been diagnosed with type 2 and am finding it really difficult to know what to eat. Advice out there seems quite limiting. Can you give me any information of actual meals - I'd be really grateful
Thanks
Viv
xxx

Colleen said...

Ah... proteins, fruits and veg, only good-quality carbs. This is my post-partum weightloss plan and it's going well.

Sometimes, when I'm overwhelmed by the amount of fruit and veg at one time, I mix it all in the blender. I never knew that fruit and veg mixed together would taste so good, but it does!