Monday 10 September 2012

A very pleasant evening


(Image from wikipedia.co.uk)


I'm not sure what the Harvest Festivals of yore were like, but this evening, I have been in the club room at the village hall with the Women's Section of the Royal British Legion, village branch.  I would insert the name of the village in there, but I don't do that!

About 16 women had gathered to do some committee business, have a short Harvest Service [my part], share a meal and then have a raffle and an auction of harvest-type goods.  It was actually more fun than I thought it was going to be.  I did know some of the ladies, all of them at least 10 years older than me, from events at the chapel that a few of them have attended.

I don't know much about the Royal British Legion beyond the Festival of Remembrance and the Poppy parades, so it was good to find out a bit more, and to spend some time with them.  The meeting opened with the "At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them" speech, which we all stood for.  They basically do a lot of excellent fundraising in the local area to support the work of the RBL.

The meal was a bit limited for me, but that didn't matter as I have eaten since I have returned home.  The auction was fun and I came home with a jar of freshly made (this morning!) plum jam for £1, a beautiful cyclamen plant (£2), some chocolate teacakes [for the YFG] for £1, and some leftover apple pie for the FH for £1.  All the proceeds are going straight into the RBL funds, so it is a good cause. The ladies also very kindly gave me a bottle of wine for taking the time to go along and do the service, which was a lovely surprise.


No comments: