Monday 29 July 2013

My kedgeree adaptation


Having the internet back, I browsed through some websites and found a recipe for kedgeree.  It wasn't what I was expecting, adding cream and butter to rice and fish to make a very rich dish.  Not quite what I wanted for the family, with the FH's needs and the EFG's weightloss goals to consider.

So I adapted it a little!  My ingredients:

Young's frozen smoked kippers [herring] which yield 2 kippers for £1.00
An onion, finely chopped
Vegetable stock, made from a stock cube with boiling water
A home-grown green pepper from the greenhouse
1 tsp Tesco Value mild curry powder
Three hard boiled eggs.

I gently fried the onion and the pepper in 2 teaspoons of oil, then added the rice and the curry powder and mixed it all together thoroughly, before adding the stock, and letting it all cook through.  In a separate pan, I hard boiled the eggs while cooking the kippers - they are a boil-in-the-bag arrangement when bought like this, and I thought sharing the pan worked well.

The eggs were quickly cooled and peeled, and the fish was extracted from the bag, roughly pulled apart and added to the rice mixture.

This was all served on a bed of home-grown lettuce, with the halved eggs on the side.  At a rough guess, I'd say that I fed the three of them for less than £2, I think.  They all enjoyed it; I explained to the girls the need to move away from too many meaty meals, as the YFG was asking why I have been trying out new recipes lately, and she noted that she is not that fond of chicken so she is glad not to have it as often. 

She's getting it tomorrow....

No comments: