Saturday 26 October 2013

Another lazy day

We enjoyed a later-than-usual start to the day, and once I had sorted out the outside chores, I sat with the girls and watched a DVD!  The outside chores did take a little longer than usual as I had to put sawdust and shavings down for the chickens, and I also had a tidy up around the yard to try to make sure that there isn't any flying debris or plant pots when the wind gets up this weekend or early on Monday.  I am not looking forward to this storm at all.


After a roast chicken dinner at lunchtime [the chicken had been in the slow cooker overnight], we washed up together and then headed off to Ely, one of our favourite destinations.  It takes a wee while to get there, but it is well worth it when we do arrive!  The FH came for the ride and had a potter around the town.  We bought some felt from a craft shop for the EFG and YFG to do some Christmas decorations....and when we got home, we realised that it was actually a bit on the pricey side and we have since found some much more competitively priced on ebay, but we must be grateful to the high street shops for providing us with a source of instant goods when we need them!


The EFG then spent the latter part of the afternoon and a lot of the evening making these items.  I am impressed, and am thinking about making some myself.......I have to make 22 of something for the staff at school, and have done chocolates of one variety or another for the last three years, so I think it is time for a change.  Whether I have time to make enough of these is another matter.  I'll finish my current scarf-in-progress and then decide.  Ideas and suggestions welcomed.

This evening, we have watched Strictly, and then we had the DVD of Anna Karenina on, which the girls gave me for my birthday in September.  I didn't like it at first but gradually got into it - I found the "play" setting a bit strange, but got used to it.  Jude Law and Keira Knightly do well in it, I thought, and the costumes are very well done.  I don't think I will aspire to read the book, but I admire anyone who has done so.

Whilst we were in Ely, we went to Aldi and spent the first of my two £5 vouchers.  I shall spend the other one next Thursday in a different store, with an alternative focus to my shopping - today's was very much one for stocking up on tins and stores, whereas next week, we shall be in need of fresh fruit and veg, cheese and cold meats, all of which are very good at Aldi.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like you I found that film hard to get in to, but it was worth watching just for the costumes.