Friday 21 March 2014

Just a foot

The day was going quite well, and I picked the YFG up from school and headed off to gymnastics up the road.  Travelling along a fairly straight piece of road at about 50mph, I was chatting away with the YFG when all of a sudden there was an enormous bang behind me and I thought something had hit the car from behind.

The rear side door window right behind me had broken - it had a huge hole in it and the glass in the window was totally shattered.  In shock, my first reaction was to pull over and put the hazard warning lights on, but I only sat there for a minute because the damaged window was obviously on the road-side of the car and it was too dangerous to get out and do anything there because the road was too busy.  I crept along and turned off at the next opportunity, onto the road which heads home.  I was able then to pull over into a haulage yard and stop to think, and try to stop shaking!  I rang the FH and he advised us to come home slowly, but I carefully pushed the glass out of the window and into the car before I moved off again, because I was worried about it flying out and hurting anyone.

We made it home, and I called the insurance company.  They put me through to Autoglass who should be coming out to repair it, but I haven't received an email from them yet....the glass will be in the depot on Monday so it won't be repaired at least until then.

We eventually made it to gymnastics, much later than we should have been, and the head coach wasn't exactly chuffed that he had had to do all the setting out on his own, but we had tried to contact him in a variety of ways to no avail, so we just had to explain when we got there.

We can only presume that something either flew off a vehicle moving in the opposite direction, or such a vehicle threw a stone up.  I am just relieved that it wasn't a foot further forward that it hit or it would have been my window and I have no idea how I would have reacted to that.  I am also glad that it didn't happen on the same stretch of road yesterday when I had both girls in the car, as one of them would have been in the back of the car.  I have a £75 excess on glass on the car insurance policy so I have had to pay that and have no hope of getting it back from anyone - it was just an accident, and I have no idea how it happened.

What a day!  In twenty years of driving I have never had anything as dramatic or as frightening happen to me before, so I hope it is the only thing in the next twenty years as well, as I can do without that kind of drama!

10 comments:

rabbitquilter said...

At least neither of you were hurt, as for the helpful Head Coach, he should be ashamed of himself. I had a similar experience when I was out for my driving assessment in a lorry. An over-hanging branch caught the side mirror and as the examiner wound the window down to push it out again, another branch hit it and it smashed the side window, glass flew everywhere. The examiner wouldn't let me stop for about 10 miles! There is a lot more to the story, and I can sort of laugh about it now, but, even now when I go past that bit of road my heart still does a little blip!! Hope you had a nice reviving cuppa when you got home!!

Angela said...

So glad you are OK. Should you report it to the police, do you think?

Welsh Poppy said...

Goodness me someone was looking out for you.Glad you are all safe and sound!!

Morgan said...

Thank you all.

Ang - I did think about it, but the insurance people weren't interested in an incident number and I wasn't taking a lot of notice of the traffic going in the other direction, because I was looking where I was going, so I am not really sure what I would tell them.

Angela said...

It was the Incident Number I was concerned about - but as the Insurance people don't seem concerned...

Have a happy, SAFE weekend!

Sue in Suffolk said...

Goodness - What a horrible shock. Glad you are OK. Hope you get the glass in soon - too blinkin' cold to be riding round with no window.

Attila said...

We once had some red deer come diagonally across us from behind; one went in front, one behind and one leapt over the bonnet! There was no time to stop or scarcely to think. The hind foot of the jumping deer hit the corner of the windscreen and cracked it so we had to have a whole new windscreen. So I can imagine the shock you had!

Morgan said...

@Attila - good to hear from you again xx

@SSS - I am not having to drive it at the moment as we luckily still have the FH's old banger and I can use that in the meantime. It has been out today and I am sure it enjoyed getting past 30mph!

Lyssa Medana said...

So glad you are okay. Lots of hugs, it must have been incredibly scary! WS xxx

thrift deluxe said...

Glad you are okay, what a shock!