Friday 18 April 2014

Wolf in Sheep's clothing - beware!

(www.theguardian.com)

I was pleased to receive a call yesterday afternoon from the company from which I bought the hob and oven on Thursday.  The chap seemed quite pleasant, if a little too chatty, but he was interested in my feedback on the ease of ordering the products, why I chose those products and how I found the website.

All very nice, and I thought I was getting good customer service.

Then he told me that the products had a lifetime guarantee, and my little antennae started wiggling.  A lifetime guarantee on a hob and a cooker?  That sounded a little too good to be true....

He then proceeded to tell me that this "lifetime guarantee" would cost me £8.98 a month to cover the two appliances, and would ensure that I wouldn't have to foot the bill for any repairs or replacements for the products in the event that they wore out or broke down.

And then he asked me to "confirm" my sort code so he could begin to set up the direct debit.

I soon put the brakes on that whole scenario, pointing out that he didn't know the sort code, so I wouldn't be "confirming" it because he was actually asking me to provide it.  I then had a go at him over springing this whole thing on me over the phone, pointing out that this wasn't a "lifetime guarantee" but actually an insurance scheme, which he wasn't too chuffed about.  Then I said that my previous oven and hob had lasted me 10 years, so I would be gambling on this one lasting only half as long at that rate - £8.98 a month over 10 years is over £1000, and the hob and oven together cost half that.  I could keep my cash and just buy another one when I needed them as I have done this time - and the balance of the gamble is in my favour, I hope!

I am afraid that I also told him that what had started off seeming to be a pleasant customer service call had become a fairly hard-sell sales call, and I wasn't very impressed.  He was rather persistent, but he hasn't got my sort code, and I haven't agreed to participate in his scheme.  He has emailed me the details so that I can consider it.  It may take me a while....

7 comments:

Sue said...

We had exactly the same call after buying our chest freezer online.

My Lovely Hubby quickly turned the conversation on it's head by saying if they thought their products needed such a guarantee at extra cost to us we didn't want them and would they please arrange the swift picking up of said product and the complete refund of our money.

After this the conversation swiftly changed direction and we were assured of their excellent products and that there was no need for additional insurance as they were the perfect choice. Six years later the freezer is still in daily use and we have saved almost £1000 by not falling for this terrible con.

Well done on having your wits about you and spotting what was going on, I wonder how many people fall for it and at what cost to them :-(

Bridget said...

Well done for standing your ground! Why don't these people tell you straight away what they're selling?

Angela said...

I hate this sort of thing - and applaud your actions!! Too many people pay up, without bothering to work out the £1000 it will cost them.
When I got my washing machine, they offered me something like this "Well, the average lifespan of a washing machine is three years" she said. I asked why she was telling me this was such a brilliant purchase if it would only last three years - and I pointed out that in three years I could put that 'cover' money in the bank and have enough to buy two more machines. She seemed baffled I could do basic arithmetic!! My machine is 3 yrs old next month and still working beautifully.
Do tell us more details of the new cooker !! Easter blessings xx

Attila said...

I am nowhere as quick thinking when t comes to maths, but I make it a rule to never sign up for anything there and then. I ask them to print or email me the information and tell them I will contact them if I want it. That's when I don't just say no to save us all time and bother.

SusanM said...

Well done. I cancelled our cooker protection when they decided to almost double the premiums because it was over 8 years old. Well, since I cancelled it the oven element stopped working but we just ordered another online and husband fitted it following a Youtube video. Sometimes these cover policies are just not worth it and as you say, once you've added up what you would spend over the years, you could easily buy a new one for that money.

rabbitquilter said...

What a cheek! Am so glad you gave him what-for!! For cold-callers, I usually pass the phone over to my son who has such fun, his usual story is that he is a burglar just 'doing over the joint'!! They mostly just reply 'oh right'!!!
Wishing you and yours a Happy Eastertime X

Morgan said...

@RQ - that made me laugh! Apparently, a friend of ours who used to be an MI5/6 type asked a cold caller if he was the clean-up squad and if so, he would have to come soon because there was a lot of blood this time! Can't imagine what the person in the call centre made of that one....