Monday 1 December 2014

In the kitchen this week

It's Advent, and I don't like to have anything too rich [by any meaning of the word] in the run up to the big day, so that we really appreciate the festive food for a couple of days.  Advent here is a little like Lent in that respect - these days we eat what we fancy year round and have got away from the old ways of only having "feast" foods on the proper feast days!

This week, we are planning:


  • Leftovers from the weekend for tonight
  • Soup and hot toasted sandwiches and then a simple "mug" sponge pud for the YFG
  • Baked spaghetti with mozzarella and garlic
  • Sausage casserole [with beans and tomatoes and onion gravy]
  • Cottage pie
  • Pizza
There are several items there which will result in "planned-overs" or extra portions for another day to be popped into the freezer and brought out on busy days. 

I'll be making more leek & potato soup this week, as I bought some leeks in Aldi yesterday much cheaper than the last lot I had found elsewhere.  I shall also probably use leeks in the cottage pie instead of an onion as I am getting low on onions.

There will also be baking this week for events at the chapel next weekend, so I have got to fit that in somewhere....

No comments: