Wednesday 22 April 2015

Anne's loss

The news has emerged in recent days that Jonathan Crombie, most famous for playing Gilbert Blythe in the Anne of Green Gables films, has died.  He was only 48.

Image result for gilbert blythe actor dies
(image from usatoday.com)

I love the films and have the first on DVD - I had them all on video but gave them away years ago when the video player broke down and we replaced it with a DVD player.  I shall have to find the other films on DVD eventually so that I have a set again.

It was a treat to watch the development of the pair from the cheeky school room antics of their youth to the more mature teachers and students that they became.

Image result for gilbert blythe actor dies
(image from washingtonpost.com)

I know that he had a huge career on the stage quite apart from his Prince Edward Island character's films, but that is how I knew him, and how I will remember him.

Image result for gilbert blythe actor dies
(image from new.nationalpost.com)

RIP.

1 comment:

Sarah Head said...

Whilst it is always sad to hear of a relatively young actor's passing, my Gilbert Blythe will always be Robert Ainslie, the Canadian Actor who played opposite Polly James (Ex-Liver Birds) in the London stage musical in the early 1970s (probably before your time!). He was lovely and gave me his autograph at the stage door and sent me a signed photo when I wrote to him. I think I was fifteen or sixteen and we went to see the musical twice, which was quite something for coutry bumpkins who only went to London once a year if we were lucky! My sister and I can still sing all the songs and quote from memorable bits of the play. I read all the books many times as a teenager and loved every one. My sister has visited Green Gables on PEI but I doubt I shall ever get there. If you ever get a chance to see the play, it is wonderful.