Wednesday 8 July 2015

Enough?

I know that a lot of people are heading to bed in this country, scared of what George Osborne's budget will bring for us all tomorrow.  I'm apprehensive too.  I'm one of the lucky ones, as I have got enough income from other sources at the moment that even if he smashes the Tax credits system to smithereens, I'll survive.  We won't be as comfortable, but we'll survive, for now.  If he raises that income tax threshold, perhaps I'll get to keep a little more of what I earn to make up for some of what he takes away......

But I am painfully aware that that money is an absolute lifeline for some families and that they are going to be queuing up at the foodbanks and struggling to pay their bills without it.  Hard working people are not going to be able to make ends meet and provide for their children with cuts such as the ones that are feared.  I don't get too vocal about actual politics and the politicians, as I haven't got time to study it enough to be properly informed.  I see the impact though, and I read about the problems.  I marvel at the strength that some people have got as they get through in appalling situations, and I wonder at their resolve.  

Tonight, we don't know for sure what will happen tomorrow.  We don't have the information to make reasoned debate about it yet.  That lack of information doesn't stop people worrying about what might happen though.  It will also take some time for the actual impact for each family to be realised.  

What can I do about it?  I can't do anything at all about the possible cuts, but I can be there to support those who find themselves in dire straits as a result.  I can sign petitions, I can make donations, and I can support the local foodbanks and charities which support those in need.  I can share what I have. I will be asking to go on a CAP money course if I get this outreach worker position in the church, so that I can help people more.  I would love to help more people access wonderful, helpful websites like Frugal Queen, Life after Money and Moneysavingexpert.  

I can go down on my knees and pray for all kinds of people all over the world who do not have enough.  I'm grateful for the blessings we have too.

No comments: