Sunday 27 September 2015

The miles

Some days I am really struggling to cope with the miles between here and Aberdeen. I wish that the EFG had gone to uni in Norwich sometimes, but then I remember that no, the course which suited her best was in Aberdeen.

Last night I spent three frantic hours worried half to death about her. One of her flatmates had had an episode of self-harming and quite terrifying behaviour and the other four girls, including the EFG, had fled from the flat in fear.  I had the EFG on the phone in tears, shaking and incoherent.  It was not a good place to be.

In near constant communication with her and the other three, I encouraged them to ring the police for the other girl's safety, but they rang 111 and didn't get a lot of support. I tried all kinds of numbers in Aberdeen to find them some help, as it was getting late.  Eventually, I managed to prise the girl's home phone number out of them and I rang her mum, and explained the situation.  Of course, her poor mum then became as upset and worried as I already was, and managed to get a lift into Aberdeen, as she lives about an hour away.  She has taken her daughter home for a few days of R&R, and possibly a trip to the GP whilst she is home too.  All was well again by midnight and we settled down!

Today I have had a lovely morning taking a service at one of my favourite chapels, and then I came home and charged up and down and round and round with my new lawnmower - it was great!  My headteacher came over this afternoon as we have a mini-crisis going on at school and she had been away with a group for a couple of nights and needed a catch-up.  Then, I waded through 5 years of old governor documents, looking for minutes and documents relating to a specific issue......I had a couple of cups of tea whilst I was doing that....

Tonight - the fire is lit for the first time this season, and it is a lovely cheery sight......just in time for Downton Abbey in about half an hour.  Love it - a perfect end to the weekend!

6 comments:

Jacqui said...

How difficult for everyone- hopefully your daughter's friend will get through this. Such a worry when you are so far away. I hope you enjoyed your cosy evening xx

Angela said...

So glad you were able to sort out EFG's housemate. What an anxiety for the other Mum. It is hard when they are so far away.
I have just watched 'Cider with Rosie' - it was very well done, i thought. Will catch up with Downton later [Bob doesnt like it- I watch it when he's elsewhere!!]
Setting alarm for 3am so I can see the eclipse. I must be mad!!

Bless said...

So sorry to hear about your elder daughter's terrifying incident with her flatmate! It's hard to be so far away from our children when they go away to university (my daughter is 400 miles away, but she's older than your daughter). Glad you were able to contact the mother and she was able to take her daughter home.

Dc said...

So glad everything turned out well. Our DS went way up north as well, so difficult to do things from a distance.

veeknits19 said...

How frightening for everyone, such a worry when they are so far from home. So glad you were able to contact the girl's mum to get her some help, I hope all turns out well for all the girls. Thank goodness for mobile phones, I remember the days of having to find a working phone box in order to ring home! Vee x

Sue in Suffolk said...

What a worrying situation. I hope the girl is able to get some medical help and everything settles down.